Opera is for everyone!

Hi there!!!
A week ago on my Tumblr page and on Twitter I asked opera bloggers to take part in my sort of a poll which was referred to opera topic! I came up with an idea to ask as many opera bloggers as possible to get to know their opinion about opera and the reasons why they are blogging about it! Doing it, I wanted to open the secret of opera and to find out why it touches so many people around the world! As I know many opera bloggers are young singers and I think they can explain why opera can be interesting for young generation.


I sent my simple request to some bloggers whose pages I liked and….only one blogger replied (I don’t blame other bloggers in any case)! And this is Isabela Zogaib from the blog «Unexpected Song». She is «an opera student living in Brazil and striving to have some opera experience here» that’s how she writes about herself on her blog page. I can also add that Isabela has been blogging about 2 years and has the same music interests as I do!!!))) I love reading her posts, she writes about her trips in NYC where she usually visits gorgeous Metropolitan Opera House, presents her own reviews on operas, CDs or DVDs and also posts some stuff about herself! It’s always fun to read «unexpected» thoughts cause mostly I have the same emotions about this or that singer/opera she discusses.


In my poll I ask 12 questions. I hope the answers will help people, who are afraid of opera in some way or think it’s boring, to at least change their opinion and to open this amazing world for themselves!

Here Isabela’s answers are:
1. The composer who makes me laugh… Mozart.
2. The composer who makes me cry… Puccini.
3. The best opera production I’ve ever seen… Live I would have to say the Met's new production of «Werther» and on DVD the Royal Opera House's production of «La Rondine».
4. She (He) is the greatest opera singer of all time… Placido Domingo.
5. The best opera to start with… Depends on the person.
6. The must-see for any opera lover… There are so many! I think opera lovers should watch as many operas as they can.
7. The most interesting opera blog… I think that the only opera blog I read is yours! Shame on me! [I guess Isabela means mine, so nice))))].
8. In most cases I get opera news from… Twitter and Facebook.
9. Is opera the elite art? Why (not)? Not at all! It might have elite prices but I think it speaks to everyone because it's not just about elite people but also about everyday people.
10. I love opera because… It's the most direct artform there is, it doesn't need any sort of electronic device to reach you, it reaches you plain and pure, you can feel the vibration that all the instruments and voices make.
11. I’m writing about opera because… I just can't hold all that I feel inside, I have to let it out and also because I think it's fun to share.
12. A word of advice for opera newcomers… Don't worry! There are subtitles!

Thanks a lot, Isabela, for your sincere answers! You should certainly check out her blog here! I’m sure you’ll find many interesting info!

I didn’t want to show you my answers but then I decided that would be unfair:). Here they are:
1. The composer who makes me laugh… Rossini.
2. The composer who makes me cry… Puccini.
3. The best opera production I’ve ever seen… there are so many!!! But first things that come to my mind are «Carmen» (Met Opera 2010), «Tosca» (ROH 2011) and «Eugene Onegin» (Met Opera 2007).
4. She (He) is the greatest opera singer of all time… Maria Callas.
5. The best opera to start with… I would say Bizet’s «Carmen», Donizetti’s «L’elisir d’amore», Rossini’s «Il barbiere di Siviglia» and Verdi’s «La Traviata».
6. The must-see for any opera lover… I agree with Isabela, the more the better!
7. The most interesting opera blog… All blogs I like and read you can find on the right panel of my blog, I can’t choose one! 
8. In most cases I get opera news from… Twitter, Facebook, opera blogs.
9. Is opera the elite art? Why (not)? I consider that opera can be loved by anyone. But it’s okay that someone likes something and someone doesn’t. This can be referred to anything. Opera is more expensive form of art than, for example, cinema but if you really have a huge desire to hear it, nothing is impossible!:).
10. I love opera because… Opera is about life. No matter in what epoch it is composed, it always speaks to common emotions of all people. I don’t get the similar feelings from other art forms.
11. I’m writing about opera because… I have too many thoughts and emotions about opera music, it’s impossible to hold it back:).
12. A word of advice for opera newcomers… Don’t be afraid! Just open up to this wonderful music and let it speak directly to the heart!


I hope this post was very informative and entertaining for you. And I would be really glad if it changed someone’s mind about opera (in a good way, of course:))!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opera Challenge

Favorite Mezzo!